Hospodar: Czech Language Newspaper in Texas

Czech written newspaper Hospodar was founded in 1890 in Omaha, NE by Jan Rosicky for newly arrived immigrants from Europe. For more than 115 years Hospodar adjusted content of articles to reader's interests. Hospodar is informative and instructive newspaper. One can find historical articles from the past and present history of this world.

Sunday, October 08, 2006

Czech written newspaper Hospodar was founded in 1890 in Omaha, Nebraska by Jan Rosicky for newly arrived immigrants from Europe. Many of them wanted to farm in American but farming conditions were very different in comparison with European techniques. Therefore, newcomers needed new instruction for new environment, soil conditions, climate, agricultural machinery and the way to do things in American. Hospodar recommended proven seed and working procedure for different regions of American, provided dealerships of heavy agricultural machines, livestock sales and auctions, fertilizer and seed salesman.

Jan Rosicky founded Hospodar and several other Czech printed newspapers. He died in 1909. After her father's death Ruzena took management of printing and editorship of Hospodar and publishing house in Omaha, Nebraska and fooled her father's traditions. Later "Automatic Printing Company" of the Piskac family took over management and this company is still working under the same name.

Mr. Joe F. Holasek bought the publishing rights of Hospodar and he united Cechoslovak and Hospodar. At this time Mr. Jerome Kopecky worked in the publishing company. Later, he became Editor in Chief of Hospodar. The West News Publishing Company was sold in 1974 to Mr. L. Pescaia.

When Hospodar was published in West the most of the technical and editor's work was carried by Jerome Kopecky who kept working with Hospodar joyfully and sacrificially, he had to work with many assistants who were not the best help he could afford. In 1974 Jan Vaculik came to help him and they worked together for more than 15 years until May 1989. This cooperation was full of harmony and mutual understanding.

At this junction it is important to express thanks to all those who are helping us to keep Hospodar in existence. We witness a decrease in the numbers of people reading and wiring Czech and number of new immigrants is dwindling. We hope that the renewal of interest in Czech heritage in Texas and in other regions will help us in our work.

During more than one hundred years of existence Hospodar adjusted content of articles to reader's interests. As it was mention about Hospodar at the beginning was informative and instructive newspaper for new immigrants, later Rosicky informed about mutual help and insurance agencies, cultural, social and festival events. Hospodar today contains articles of similar nature and interests.

One can find historical articles from the past and present history of this world, different nations, memoirs, youthful recollections from the old and new country, spiritual and religious discussions, philosophical meditations, short and long description from various festivals form the old and new country. Thus, one can see Hospodar to be very educational and entertaining newspaper for today's readers in the Czech language. It relates new from around the world where Czech people settled, including liberate Czech Republic and also to those readers who would like to improve their reading and writing skills in Czech.


In the spring of 1989 Hospodar's existence was threatened however, the publishing rights were bought by Jan Vaculik and his family and he saved Hospodar for future generations. He hoped that he can count on help and support and understanding of readers. Nevertheless, the number of readers is decreasing with every year and newcomers do not sufficiently substitute losses.

About half of editions is sent to the Czech Republic and Slovakia, the other half is sent throughout northern and southern part of American continent, to Asia and to any destination where post delivery is available. Some interested people who can not read Czech may subscribe for someone who can read Czech. Hospodar has to find new subscribers and supporters to continue in a very difficult task to inform people.


5 Comments:

  • At 9:23 AM , Blogger JR said...

    Dear Mr. Vaculik,
    I am very happy I found Hospodar on the Internet. I was born and I lived in Czechoslovakia for 38 years now I live in the USA for 25 years. I remember that my grandma was getting Hospodar and we all were reading it. My grandma wrote rather a long article that had been published in three or four Hospodar’s in the late sixties, or early seventies. I would be very happy if there exist some trace of it.
    I would like to order the Hospodar for me here in the USA, and for my brother in the Czech Republic, but I didn’t find the link. It also depends how much the prescription costs. I did well, and I will do well again. My company that I was running for 20 years became victim of the current downturn. Actually I do not blame the economy, I can blame only myself. I published the book and I focused so much on finishing and then promoting the book that I lost the control of the business. But the book doesn’t sell.
    Maybe I am making another mistake, because I am re-writing the book putting more emphasis on details that the readers like the most, what is basically my autobiography.
    Thank you for saving the Hospodar magazine and I will order at least two of them.

     
  • At 9:29 AM , Blogger JR said...

    In addition to my comment I just posted:

    My name is Josef Roubal
    I live in Colchester, VT
    My e-mail: roubalj@aol.com
    Web site: realitybooks.net

     
  • At 11:26 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    My grandmother, Anna Napravnik used to subscribe and read her Hospodar newspaper from cover to cover for many years. I think she saved every issue she ever received. In 1973 I stayed with her in Bethlehem, PA for a month. I was 20 years old and Grandmother was in her late 80's. She knew exactly when the paper was due to arrive and waited for the postman to deliver it. She smiled when she saw that it was in the handful of mail and immediately went inside to sit in her favorite chair and begin reading. I surprised and glad that the paper is still be published.
    Jack Gardner
    Cotuit, MA

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Kathy K said...

    My grandmother, Mary Kostka Kovac, wrote a short family story about arriving from Czechoslovakia to America, back in 1914. She mentioned this newspaper, and how she was able to contact some people/relatives that were in America. I am very happy that she found solace with this newspaper.

     
  • At 3:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I am currently writing a family history for my husband who has a Polish background. His parents came from the Istebna area of Silesia, Poland. On January 8, 1968 my mother in law, Elizabeth Byrtus wrote a story for the Hospodarabout her life, which I will use in the family story. She was so delighted to find your newspaper and read about people with similar experiences.
    Thakyou from our family for being there. I’m not sure if Elizabeth’s story was published. If you find out that it was, do let me know.
    Pam Byrtus
    Ottawa, Canada

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home